[Gendergap] Hardcoded discrimination

Lena ... lenarohrbach at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:28:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Thomas Koenig <fossa at gmx.li> wrote:
> JFTR: "Benutzerinkonto" is not a German word, it would look awkward to say
> the least to any native German speaker.

That's right, but that's because "Benutzerinkonto" is wrong German
grammar. "Benutzerinnenkonto" would be correct and sounds fine to me.

> Besides that, I find all the chatter about grammar, quite tangential.
> There is a culture of misogyny in the Wikimedia projects, way above the
> level of comparable work or even volunteer environments, which is neither
> due to the use of grammar, nor can it be adequately fought with a change
> grammer rules in the software.

I agree that grammar is not the main problem, but it might well be the
one that is most easy to solve! You just need to change a few words to
maybe have a big impact. :)
To change the culture is much more complicated and will take much
longer, although it's admittedly more important. (But maybe changing
the words is a first step to changing the culture?)

Best,
Lena