[Gendergap] Stubs, task forces, etc.

Annie L. Lin alin at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 4 22:54:38 UTC 2011

At the risk of seeming like I'm doing shameless self-promotion, I would
like to point out that the Wikipedia Campus Ambassador program is
currently about 55% male and 45% female - a gender ratio that we are
quite proud of.

I think this can also have very promising implications: Campus
Ambassadors go into classrooms to teach students how to edit Wikipedia
and also hold workshops/talks about Wikipedia for university staff and
faculty; as such they're often seen as teacher/mentor figures, and it's
likely very encouraging to the female students/staff/faculty to see that
this role is taken on by fellow women. I have no data to back myself up
on this particular point, but I think it's a reasonable hypothesis, and
I would be very interested in helping out with research projects that
explore this more.

Annie Lin
Campus Team Coordinator (Public Policy Initiative)
Wikimedia Foundation
alin at wikimedia.org <mailto:alin at wikimedia.org>