[Gendergap] Wikipedia's gender gap: discussion on Metafilter

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 10:00:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:30 AM, jessamyn c. west <jessamyn at gmail.com> wrote:
> People have rightfully pointed out that our $5 barrier to entry is an
> intentional growth-limiter and also more of a spam-defender. While our
> user numbers are up in the 100K range, we have about 20K active
> members and maybe a thousand or two active in any given day. This is
> small by Wikipedia terms, very very small. That said our M/F ratio is
> more like 60/40 m/f.

Actually, 20% of active editors is like... wow!
You might want to compare with the stats on active and very active
editors on Wikipedia here:
http://stats.wikimedia.org/reportcard/ (scroll down the page to get to
the relevant charts).

20k active editors is by no means very very small, especially by
Wikipedia standards. :)

Delphine
--
@notafish