[Gendergap] Hello and a (small!) manifesto

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 04:25:47 UTC 2011

On 2 February 2011 23:16, <jidanni at jidanni.org> wrote:

> K> our "mascot"? An overtly sexualized, large-breasted woman who people
> K> regularly draw in bikinis and maid costumes? I mean, I know
> K> Wikipe-tan is not actually The Problem. But she's the most egregious
> K> example I think we have of the sort of unconscious "boyzone" culture
>
> Ah, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipe-tan .
> Actually a lot of girls like such images too.

As a small note of irony here, I am viewing this email through Gmail, which
of course runs "topic-related" advertisements along the right side of the
page. The ones that are up right now are for a matchmaking service and a
soft pornography photosite.

I think the segment of the female population who would actively seek out
participation in a site where Wikipe-tan was a frequently-seen icon is very,
very small. I'm particularly concerned about one of the "examples" at the
bottom labeled "Gothic Lolita Wikipe-tan, which is entirely the wrong
message.

Risker/Anne