[Gendergap] Some Food for Thought

Carol Moore carolmooredc at verizon.net
Tue Dec 27 14:32:29 UTC 2011

On 12/27/2011 4:20 AM, Béria Lima wrote:
> Return food for thought:
>
> Inferiority is not always something you feel because of a problem that
> you have wrong inside you. Often times, there are systematic problems
> that help reinforce this.  Some people have categorically treated as
> inferior.  Having a male suggest this is all in the minds of female
> contributors is not a useful contribution to the conversation because
> it devalues the experiences of female contributors on this list, on a
> list dedicated specifically to fixing these problems.  We want to
> empower female contributors and leaders.  We want them to go back to
> their communities and help work towards increasing overall
> participation to Wikimedia projects and female participation to
> Wikimedia projects.
Or as I would have put it, most men don't know what it's like to be
constantly insulted, denigrated, bullied, ignored, even if in subtle
fashion. Really short, really ugly, gay/transgender/bi, super nerdy guys
may know what it's like in adolescence, but when they mature and if they
gain skills that make them financially successful even many of them will
finally be allowed to join the "manhood" club, one of whose pass keys is
denigrating women. All this doesn't necessarily make women feel
inferior. But it may make women depressed, prone to lose onesself in
female addictions (food, kids, clothes, etc), unfocused, passive, or on
the other hand angry, destructive, revengeful, drama queeny (yeah!), etc
etc.

> Dismissing real and valid concerns does not help: It hurts. A man
> quoting a woman to dismiss valid concerns makes it worse.  I know that
> was probably not your intent.  I know you probably did not intend to
> cause additional hurt by dismissing valid concerns.
Your analysis is more generous than mine :-)

> If we want to fix this problem, we need to remember this. If we have
> women saying "I am having trouble connecting to this list.  I do not
> feel it represents my interests.  The primary focus is on articles of
> interest to a narrow audience," then we need to work to be more
> inclusive.  I'd love to know more about what is happening in regards
> to women's related content on French Wikipedia, efforts being made by
> the community to increase female participation on various Wikimedia
> Foundation projects, the quality of women's related content on French
> Wikipedia.  We don't often have a chance to hear this narrative.
>  There are 115 million native speakers of the language and around 270
> million people who can speak it.  It is the official language in some
> 29 countries around the globe including France.  France ranks ninth in
> the amount of visitors to English Wikipedia. French Wikipedia accounts
> for 4.7% of traffic to ALL language Wikipedia.  There is a huge
> potential to grow the female participation rates and the general
> French speaking participation rates on Wikimedia projects.
>
> How can we support this?  How can we use the list to support
> contributors who do not speak English?  What steps can we take to make
> sure we are more inclusive?  One of the failings of the gender gap
> list is we so rarely do that. :(
Another idea - Someone could always post things in french and then link
to google translate :-)