[Gendergap] study about gendered names and IRC

Pete Forsyth peteforsyth at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 17:48:29 UTC 2011

Thanks for sharing this study, Ryan -- very useful info, and as you say,
rather depressing!

I think it's important to note, for those who don't use IRC -- the bit
about "high traffic IRC channels" is VERY significant. I hope nobody gets
the idea that simply by using IRC in a rather targeted way, that they would
have an even remotely similar experience. (i.e., by joining only channels
that are of particular interest, like #wikimedia-gendergap or any of the
many other Wikimedia channels [1])

For example, I'm logged into IRC nearly every day, and I think I've gotten
maybe one message along these lines in my *life* -- which is a lot fewer
than 3.7 messages per day! There are many ways to use IRC, and spending
time in very high-traffic channels is not something I think would be useful
for most people to begin with.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Channels