[Gendergap] [Foundation-l] Fundraising is for men

Christine Meyer christinewmeyer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 16:54:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 7:23 AM, emijrp <emijrp at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/12/1 Carol Moore <carolmooredc at verizon.net>
>
>> Fundraising from women is an interesting topic. You may think comments
>> about sexism and the Wikipedia community are nonsense, but guess what.
>> Women who take a lot of sexist nonsense AT wikipedia sure aren't going
>> to donate TO wikipedia, are they?
>>
>> Also, since women in general are busier with work AND family
>> responsibilities, so often the women who have the most time to edit are
>> unemployed, disabled, retired or otherwise on limited incomes.
>>

> [citation needed]
>
> Furthermore, editing Wikipedia only requires 30 minutes a day/week. I'm
> sure all women waste more time watching TV. But watching TV is funnier for
> most the people.
>
> In the other hand, looks like women in all ages have time to waste in
> Facebook
> http://www.kenburbary.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Image1_thumb3.pngAnd gender balance is fifty-fifty.

 The above statement about the women who have the time to edit WP is
patently false, and not my experience with the women I see around the
project.  Most of those women are single and childless; I think that I may
be the only serious WP content editor who is married and has children, or
at least the only one I know about.  The above statement also buys into the
stereotype that we're trying to combat in WP.

I think it's true that most women are busy with homes and family, and they
choose to volunteer their time in other ways.  I volunteer in other ways,
too,  and my interests in WP match my interests in home and family.  I
spend an average of 30 minutes a day editing, and I think of it as both a
creative outlet and as a way to volunteer.  I wonder if WP editing were
presented to women in that way it would make a difference.

Want to make the world a better place?  Edit Wikipedia! ;)

Christine
Username: Figureskatingfan