[Gendergap] [Foundation-l] Fundraising is for men

Carol Moore carolmooredc at verizon.net
Thu Dec 1 13:34:32 UTC 2011

On 11/29/2011 5:19 PM, emijrp wrote:

> So, the first step would be to try and figure out if women are
> visiting the site and not editing or just not visiting at all, before
> saying nonsense about sexism and Wikipedia community.

Fundraising from women is an interesting topic. You may think comments
about sexism and the Wikipedia community are nonsense, but guess what.
Women who take a lot of sexist nonsense AT wikipedia sure aren't going
to donate TO wikipedia, are they?

Also, since women in general are busier with work AND family
responsibilities, so often the women who have the most time to edit are
unemployed, disabled, retired or otherwise on limited incomes. I can
think of a few.  Besides a ten spot here and a ten spot there, we can't
give large amounts of money. But there are women with big bucks out
there giving lots to women-friendly organizations left and right. We
must make Wikipedia women friendly to get their money.

Anyway, putting down one of the main concerns of this list as nonsense
is not helpful.

Thanks.