[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

Bishakha Datta bishakhadatta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 16:51:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 16:24, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Milos, I believe this is exactly the kind of post that Sue was talking
> about
> > in her blog. It is aggressive, it is alienating, and it is intimidating
> > others who may have useful and progressive ideas but are repeatedly
> seeing
> > the opinions of others dismissed because they're women/not women or from
> the
> > US/not from the US. The implication of your post is "if you're a woman
> from
> > the US, your opinion is invalid". Your post here did not further the
> > discussion in any way, and I politely ask you to refrain from making such
> > posts in the future.
>
> As mentioned by Nathan and Oliver, I want to hear what do women think
> about the filter, how does it correlate with positions of men and how
> does it correlate with cultures.

I am not convinced that all women feel the same way about the filter, nor
all men - similarly, cultures are not homogenous. It is hard to generalize
on any of these bases (plural of 'basis'), because there is no simple
correlation.

Different individuals can have different responses, regardless of gender or
culture. It doesn't tie in so neatly.

Speaking for myself, no, I can't see myself using the filter. So what? That
doesn't mean I use myself as a proxy for the rest of the world to decide
that no one else should, or that anyone who does is somehow a lesser human.
And yes, I'm against censorship, but as I've said before, I don't see the
filter as proposed as censorship.

The world is made up of different folks, whether we like it or not. And just
as we provide for the person who doesn't flinch when seeing a vulva, why is
it so wrong to even think about the person who does flinch when he or she
sees a vulva? That's what I don't get.

Cheers
Bishakha