[Foundation-l] Minor projects withering and dying? Really?

David Richfield davidrichfield at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:55:37 UTC 2011

In the discussion of the Wikinews fork (may they thrive), I picked up
some comments predicting the death of Wiktionary and Wikiquote,
referring to the low numbers of regular contributors.

I don't think that means the projects are dying: I'm an infrequent
contributor to both of those projects, and every time I go there,
they're better.  Wikiquote is continually improving in coverage and
accuracy, and Wiktionary has recently gotten new features (e.g. a
separate citations tab) and is also going forward.  People are
checking recent changes: last time I edited Wiktionary, I was adding
citations to an article where the current list was in reverse
chronological order, and I was too lazy to change it, thinking
"someone else can fix this".  Before I got to the third citation,
someone had fixed the sequence.

The fact that progress is slowing isn't a sign of impending death.  As
long as the wikis don't stagnate to the extent that they start to get
taken over by spammers and trolls, I'm not going to hold a wake.

As for Wikiquote being one of our less useful projects, that's
possibly true, but only because the other projects are so awesome!
The web is awash with crap quotation websites of with the same
misattributed quotes being incestuously copied around - Wikiquote is
one beacon of sanity in that whole mess.

--
David Richfield
e^(πi)+1=0