[Foundation-l] A Wikimedia project has forked

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 12 21:13:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 05:57:37PM -0400, MZMcBride wrote:
> Tempodivalse wrote:
>
> It's a great injustice to countless contributors that they receive support
> in name only (as "one of Wikipedia's sister sites" in a handful of
> publications), but it's indisputably the reality. A classic example of this
> reality, incidentally, is the GoogleNewsSitemap extension fiasco on the
> English Wikinews.

Yes, WMF essentially failed there. Priorities are not set correctly.

Actually, this same set of failures is evident in all projects (even en.wp).
However, most projects are larger, and therefore the cost of forking
outweighs the advantages, so far.

> I'll echo others in wishing you all the best of luck going forward. I
> sincerely hope whoever administers your new site will treat you better than
> Wikimedia has.

Hey, we can all still help out. It's a wiki, after all! :-)

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning