[Foundation-l] On curiosity, cats and scapegoats

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Fri Sep 9 22:59:49 UTC 2011

On 9/9/2011 3:37 PM, MZMcBride wrote:
> It's not out of line to suggest that Wikimedia is especially interested in
> the English Wikipedia. It's _indisputable_ at the Wikimedia Foundation
> level. Whether it's as true at the Wikimedia Board level is a bit more
> arguable, though there's a good deal of evidence to suggest that it's
> equally true there. A cursory look at the Wikimedia Board resolutions is
> pretty damning.
The resolutions are more a reflection of what issues the board is able
to reach a consensus on, as opposed to what it is interested in. From my
experience, there was a fair bit of discussion about various concerns
involving, say, Wikinews or Wikiversity, but we had difficulty agreeing
on what the solutions were, and sometimes whether interventions were
necessary or even what the problems were. I don't mean to suggest that
the board lacks the ability to deal with other issues and focuses on
Wikipedia as a result - I think it reflects the uncertain position of
the community generally, which hasn't coalesced much around any
particular answer to those questions. I do hope the board continues
working on some of those issues.

--Michael Snow