[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 5 23:11:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 04:16:52PM -0400, R M Harris wrote:

> If I may bite back, the original outline of this filter.

Sure. That's why I think it's disingenuous to say there are
problems with the filter per-se.  (And, if you read all my posts
here and elsewhere, you'll see that -in fact- I repeat over and
over that there are no problems with the filter per-se.)

So: I'm Not Talking About That.

== So what AM I talking about? ==

Well, you see, to make the filter work, we're going to need a data-set of
stuff to filter. I've been thinking REALLY hard about this part,
and how to make sure it doesn't actually break.

This involves a bit of thinking ahead, like in chess: "we do this,
bad guy does that, we do this next thing in response..." etc.

I haven't found a solution yet. And I'm somewhat discouraged by the fact
that ALA hasn't found a solution in half a century.

Of course, we might be smarter than ALA. O:-) But it requires
actual work. It's not going to magically happen.

==A challenge==

I'd be willing to set up a test server, with say you and phoebe
running blue team and protecting the categorization system... and
I could play red team and try to take you down. ;-)

Then we can switch places and see if I'm any better at defence. :-)

Depending on the exact scenario, I've figured out how to do things
from damaging third parties using the wiki as leverage [1], to,  -in one
extreme case- actually locking out admins for a while [2]

We can think up some rules and make some bets on the outcome if you
like. Wanna play? :-)

Sincerely,
	Kim Bruning

[1] Damage as expressed in SEO terms.

[2] This would require a corporate proxy acting agressively based
on data derived from the categorization system. [2]

[3] The particular scenario might be more or less likely, but
utilizing synergy between wiki & 3rd party reusers makes for some
interesting hacks in general.

--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72