[Foundation-l] Personal Image Filter results announced

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 20:29:25 UTC 2011

On 4 September 2011 20:28, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 09:16:42PM +0100, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> > The trouble is that at its edges, education is fundamentally
>> > disconcerting, upsetting and subversive. And that this is a matter
>> > only of degree, not of kind.
>>
>> I agree, and I would never turn on such a filter. That doesn't mean
>> that other people shouldn't be allowed to if they want to.
>
> Right, but then they won't be educated.
>
> But, if they don't want to be educated, erm, why are they using
> an encyclopedia in the first place?

They won't be educated *as much*. They can still be educated. If they
don't use Wikipedia at all because of fear of seeing things they don't
want to see (or, because their parents fear they will see things their
parents thing they shouldn't see), then they aren't getting educated
by Wikipedia at all. Seeing almost all of Wikipedia is better than
seeing none of it.