[Foundation-l] Ideas for newbie recruitment

Oliver Keyes okeyes at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 31 13:01:38 UTC 2011

2% of the 17, I believe (don't quote me on that), and yeah, saving an edit
is the metric. I think we could probably improve things by providing
guidance on markup or something; I imagine for the other 14.6 percent the
process goes something along the lines of "oh, it says I can make the
changes myself, lets do thaWAUGH, WHAT IN CTHULU'S NAME DOES ALL THIS TEXT
MEAN"

On 31 October 2011 12:39, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 October 2011 12:30, Oliver Keyes <scire.facias at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Not sure about that specific change, but one illustration might be the
> > Article Feedback Tool, which contains a "you know you can edit, right?"
> > thing. Off the top of my head I think 17.4 percent of the 30-40,000
> people
> > who use it per day attempt to edit as a result of that inducement.
> > Admittedly only 2 percent of them *succeed*, but it's not a lack of
> > motivation, methinks.
>

> What's the definition of "succeed" there - they save an edit with a change?
>
> Is that 2% of the 17.4%, or 2% of those giving feedback?
>
> I wonder if there's a way to detect a failure to edit and ask what went
> wrong.
>

> - d.

Oliver Keyes
Community Liason, Product Development