[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 28 19:27:35 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 03:13:22PM -0700, Erik Moeller wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Tobias Oelgarte
> <tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > What approaches do you have in mind, that would empower the editors and
> > the readers, aside from an hide/show all solution?
>
> 1) Add a "collapsible" [*] parameter to the File: syntax, e.g.
> [[File:Lemonparty.jpg|collapsible]].
> 2) When present, add a notice [*] to the top of the page enabling the
> reader to collapse collapsible images (and to make that the default
> setting for all pages if desired).
> 3) When absent, do nothing.

Unlike an image filter, I project that this would have limited incidental usage,
rather than having a sweeping effect across all pages.

There are still NPOV issues with having the function; but those issues can be
solved on the spot, using consensus, at the single image on a single page on a
single wiki level.

(This as opposed to majority rule across all wikis which many others have
proposed ).

Because it is a local effect and subject to human common sense (aka. IAR) ,
unwanted emergent side effects ("collateral damage") are much less likely, or at
worst limited in scope.

This as opposed to rigid software logic, which will often have side effects and
loopholes ("bugs" and "exploits" in hacker parlance).

Due to the incidental nature, it also would not be viable to harvest data for use
in third party filters.

In short, this seems like a fairly good wiki-like solution. :-) It's not perfect,
but nothing is. It seems to strike the right balance. I could certainly live with it.

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning