[Foundation-l] moderation soft limit

Andrew Garrett agarrett at wikimedia.org
Fri Oct 21 15:02:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is very very meta. But in my own defence, I haven't posted
> anything for over a year. Mourning my dearly departed mother. I have
> said before that monthly limits are prejudicial against those that
> rarely post, but do post when the expletive hits the fan; and do so
> with the full force of conviction they are expressing the views of the
> community. Nuff said. Go ahead and moderate this, if you like.

It's all very well to say that you should be able to post as much as
you like when something you feel really passionate about comes up.

But if you can't get your point across in thirty posts over a month,
maybe it's time to stop trying.

These discussions have gone in circles for a month now, and it's the
same five or ten people (yes, I am again being rhetorical, please
don't bother checking that number) arguing past each other and posting
their entrenched positions again and again. There's no reason to think
that these loud people on foundation-l are representative of the
community at large. There's no reason to think that any of them are
likely to change their minds. And, as I say, at this point, they've
probably made their arguments as well as they can. I don't think many
people are even reading the discussion any more.

--
Andrew Garrett
Wikimedia Foundation
agarrett at wikimedia.org