[Foundation-l] Is random article truly random

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 16:35:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Andreas K. <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The more we adhere to professional standards, the more professionals we
> will
> be able to attract. You may view abandoning the standards of the male
> teenage/early twenties age group as bending the encyclopedia out of shape;
> view it as Wikipedia growing up. The sooner, the better.

I find something very odd in that statement. But first, What professional
standards? I always assumed, Wikipedia was the amateur alternative to the
professionals, the same white, grey, male academicians that skew the
professional standards. The professional group might be more homogeneous
than anything else, the only thing that differs is that there no barrier of
entry for Wikipedia.

Wikipedia was made and is constantly maintained by "male teenage/early
twenties age group" you can not reconstitute an entire demographic of a
community to satisfy some politically-correct notions of inclusiveness.

Regards
Theo