[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 03:51:08 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 6:13 AM, David Levy <lifeisunfair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sue Gardner wrote:
>
>> The Board is hoping there is a solution that will 1) enable readers to
>> easily hide images they don't want to see, as laid out in the Board's
>> resolution [1], while 2) being generally acceptable to editors. Maybe
>> this will not be possible, but it's the goal.
>
> As I've noted in other threads, Board member Samuel Klein has publicly
> expressed support for the type of implementation discussed here:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Image_filter_referendum/en/Categories#general_image_filter_vs._category_system
> or
> http://goo.gl/t6ly5
>
> Given the absence of elements widely cited as problematic, I believe
> that something along these lines would be both feasible and "generally
> acceptable to editors."
>
> David Levy

Given comments like this, it seems the contingent in support of filters
is utterly and completely delusional. That proposal mitigates none of
the valid objections to enabling other forces from just taking what we
would be foolish enough to supply, and abusing the system to all its
delight. Please come up with something more realistic.