[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia

Mark delirium at hackish.org
Wed Oct 5 00:21:23 UTC 2011

On 10/5/11 1:50 AM, Ryan Kaldari wrote:
> The WMF isn't allowed to lobby for or against legislation, per our 501c3
> non-profit status in the US. This is not necessarily true for chapters
> though, and definitely not true for the communities.

Somewhat true, but not a red line. The IRS gives this wonderfully vague
formulation: "A 501(c)(3) organization may engage in some lobbying, but
too much lobbying activity risks loss of tax-exempt status".

In addition, "organizations may conduct educational meetings, prepare
and distribute educational materials, or otherwise consider public
policy issues in an educational manner without jeopardizing their
tax-exempt status". For example, perhaps, in suitable cases, Wikimedia
could issue factual statements about proposed legislation likely to
affect its operations, with a neutral legal analysis of if and how the
legislation would do so.

-Mark