[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 4 20:58:51 UTC 2011

The Wikimedia Foundation first heard about this a few hours ago: we don't
have a lot of details yet. Jay is gathering information and working on a
statement now.

It seems obvious though that the proposed law would hurt freedom of
expression in Italy, and therefore it's entirely reasonable for the Italian
Wikipedians to oppose it. The Wikimedia Foundation will support their
position.

The question of whether blocking access to Wikipedia is the best possible
way to draw people's attention to this issue is of course open for debate
and reasonable people can disagree. My understanding is that the decision
was taken via a good community process. Regardless, what's done is done, for
the moment.

Thanks,
Sue