[Foundation-l] Fundraising is for men

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 12:49:23 UTC 2011

Thanks for the reply, Erik. To clarify my figures, I included
Wikimania travel in the travel number, and staff development in the
staffing costs. In any case, my argument wasn't that Wikimedia was
misspending its funds. I don't think that's true. I'm sure there are
perfectly reasonable explanations for $120k in staff expenditures per
employee, and over $15k in travel costs per employee. The amounts
merely demonstrate that the WMF isn't, and doesn't need to be, a
paragon of frugality.

Somewhat OT, yes, but -- the point was simply that the WMF is at a
stage of organizational development where short-staffing and poverty
are no longer its defining elements, and can no longer be the core of
a fundraising appeal. To me that means the conversion rate of readers
to donors, and the gender parity in donors, are of less than pressing
concern (as suggested by emirjp's e-mail and rupert's reply).

Nathan