[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 29 10:37:51 UTC 2011

Am 29.11.2011 10:32, schrieb Tom Morris:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 08:09, Möller, Carsten<c.moeller at wmco.de>  wrote:
>> No, we need to harden the wall agaist all attacks by hammers, screwdrivers and drills.
>> We have consensus: Wikipedia should not be censored.
>>
> You hold strong on that principle. Wikipedia should not be censored!
>
> Even if that censorship is something the user initiates, desires, and
> can turn off at any time, like AdBlock.
>
> Glad to see that Sue Gardner's warnings earlier in the debate that
> people don't get entrenched and fundamentalist but try to honestly and
> charitably see other people's points of view has been so well heeded.

There is a simple thing to know, to see, that this wording is actually
correct. There is not a single filter that can meet the personal
preferences, is easy to use and not in violation with NPOV, besides two
extrema. The all and nothing options. We already discussed that in
detail at the discussion page of the referendum.

If the filter is user initiated then it will meet the personal
preference is not in violation with NPOV. But it isn't easy to use. He
will have to do all the work himself. That is good, but practically
impossible.

If the filter is predefined then it might meet the personal preference
and can be easy to use. But it will be an violation of NPOV, since
someone else (a group of reader/users) would have to define it. That
isn't user initiated censorship anymore.

The comparison with AdBlock sucks, because you didn't looked at the goal
of both tools. AdBlock and it's predefined lists are trying to hide
_any_ advertisement, while the filter is meant to _only_ hide
controversial content. This comes down to the two extrema noted above,
that are the only two neutral options.

nya~