[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

Ali Bassit alibassit100 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 14:15:10 UTC 2011

Greetings
Hope you are okay
just follow us on twitter
Ali Abdul Baasit

________________________________
 From: Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 4:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Andreas K. <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The proposal is currently being discussed here:
>
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Diskussion:Wikipedia-Fork#.22Der_Filter.22
>
> So far, several editors who were rigorously opposed to the category-based
> filter idea have said that they would see no reason to oppose personal
> filter lists. (One editor mentioned disturbing images in the German
> meningitis article http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meningitis as an example in
> the discussion.) About the same number have said that they would still be
> opposed on principle.It's early days though; at the time of writing, fewer
> than ten editors have commented.
>
> There is some German user involvement and also some German-language
> discussion on Meta, with a similar pattern (and also some questions that
> only the board and programmers can answer):
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Controversial_content/Brainstorming#Page-specific_.22images_off.22_button
>
> Dirk Franke, a well-known German Wikipedian and member of the German
> Wikimedia board (Benutzer:Southpark), posted an entry on his blog, saying
> that in his opinion this could indeed form the basis of a constructive
> discussion about the image filter:
>

> There have also been heated discussions about Sue's visit, the board, the
> appropriateness of image filtering, image use, a simple images on/off
> option etc. on the Kurier talk page:

> – again, some comments saying personal filter lists would be okay, others
> countering that any softening of the resistance against any kind of image
> filter would be a sell-out.

I think the fundamental error in this reasoning is that you seem to under the
impression that this is something new here that is considered, and that there
have only been a few people commenting on these different schemes. The
brutal fact is that during the seven or eight years this issue has reared its
ugly head, thousands of people have opined on this issue, and a vast
majority have a big opposition to any scheme, because it is at base
against our core mission. Jimbo personally blocked a few of the people
who suggested anything of the sort (Uwe Kils might have been the first,
though there might have been somebody before I joined the project).

Using phrases like "some people", "a few people" is a pathetic representation
of the reality. It isn't a minority you want to address/oppose, but a huge and
strong entrenched core group. Pretending otherwise is just pure madness.