[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

David Goodman dggenwp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 15:28:48 UTC 2011

Assuming an individual wanted filters, all methods such as this
require them to be aware of whatever they consider to be the
disturbing image(s) before deciding to apply the filter.

In those methods which filter on an image by image basis, this
requirement rather defeats the purpose. The only way it is applicable
is when someone else blocks the images first--presumably a parent, who
thus has the need to identify and read every potentially disturbing
page before their child happens upon it.     It is more likely to be
conducive to outsiders providing their prebuilt lists. They have the
right to use what ever we provide, but do we want to provide tools
that decrease actual individual choice and encourage the more
heavy-handed methods of censorship?

This suggestion has one advantage over previous: it goes page by page,
not image by image. In  some cases, this might be realistic, but in
others the user, especially the inexperienced user, will not realize
from the page title what sort of images are likely to be found on it.