[Foundation-l] MENA Education Program?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 15:09:47 UTC 2011

Hoi,
For reasons that are not in line with the policies of the language
committee, the board has refused to allow new projects in any of the Arabic
languages. The Language policy allows for this; the WMF board will decide
if it will allow a new project when there are issues, any issues. The
insistence on one Arabic language is not based in fact. The ISO standard
explicitly recognises them.

The Egyptian Arabic Wikipedia is doing relatively well and shows that there
is room for linguistic diversity for multiple Arabic languages.
Thanks,
      GerardM

PS It is my personal opinion that there is room for the many languages that
are used in the Arabic world