[Foundation-l] Wikimedia India Program Trust

Abbas Mahmood abbasjnr at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 12 13:57:56 UTC 2011

Hi Hisham,
> From: hmundol at wikimedia.org
> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:00:30 +0530
> To: foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Wikimedia India Program Trust

> From a practical perspective, I'd say the Trust would have - by virtue of (eventually) having a full-time team - the required capacity and capability to undertake programs with a level of intensity that the Chapter would find challenging (at the present time) - again, largely because the Chapter (currently) does not have a full-time team in place.

Why didn't the WMF professionalize Wikimedia India and let the Chapter have full-time staff to do these projects? Why did you have to start another organisation from scratch whose aims and goals seem to be similar to WMIN? Couldn't it have been better to nurture the pre-existing organisation(WMIN) and make it capable enough to run India programs?
/Abbas.