[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia India Program Trust

Barry Newstead bnewstead at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 11 17:21:17 UTC 2011

+1 on Achal's note. Thanks Achal.

Let me add that the relationship with the Wikimedia India chapter is
evolving...and it is evolving in a good way.  Hisham worked collaboratively
with Arjuna in joint support of the Wikiconference India team.  We work
very closely with Tinu on communications (as we have since we first started
working in India, before Tinu was on the chapter board).  The work Naveen
introduced recently for Wiki Academies is being funded via a grant from WMF
and Hisham's team wants to be supportive of this. From the beginning of our
involvement in India, we sought to have the chapter involved (when I
traveled to India we funded the travel of chapter EC members - Anirudh and
HP Nadig to join me and we provided a prominent role for the chapter in
press discussions. We did the same funding Arun when Jimmy was in India).
 We have committed to providing the chapter with funding to support
programs that they have in the works. In fact, I proactively suggested that
the chapter prepare a grant request almost a year ago. We've also helped
the chapter work through regulatory hurdles to getting funds including
supporting a require for prior permission for FCRA.  Arjuna was involved in
the discussions at the formation of the Pune Pilot, but the chapter really
didn't have the capacity in Pune to be heavily involved in it at the time.
An argument that the trust is getting in the way or supplanting the chapter
doesn't really hold water. My hope is that the relationship is and will
continue to get closer...and I remain committed to an outcome where the
chapter and trust become one as our collective capacity and work mature in
India.

On the funding issue...this is a bit of a red herring.  As of now, there is
sufficient funds available to the chapter to build its organizational
capacity and execute on the plans that it has laid out. We are working hard
to overcome regulatory issues to the flow of funds that would provide more
resources over time to support work of the chapter, the Trust and other
groups in the community.  The true focus of both the chapter, Trust and
other interested community groups should be on building the capacity to do
effective work that advances the mission.  Money is not the limiting factor
though Indian regulations to create some short term hassles)...it's ideas
and capacity to get things done. That's what we all need to work on and do
so, in good faith, with a shared commitment to the Wikimedia mission.

Look forward to joining all of our Indian colleagues at the Wikiconference
India next week...and to continuing to work to achieve our shared vision in
India...

Barry