[Foundation-l] Frustration with WMF = WP

Kul Wadhwa kwadhwa at wikimedia.org
Wed Nov 2 17:54:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:30 AM, Dominic McDevitt-Parks
> <mcdevitd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> While I am impressed by everyone's ability to turn this into yet another
>> discussion of the image filter, how about if we don't do that just this
>> once? :-)
>
> Yes, this is a WMF-killing-the-other-projects conspiracy thread, not
> an image filter conspiracy thread :)

I want to address what appears to be the two main concerns here with
the "Wikipedia Zero" Initiative:

1) Using this as a way to expand the reach of an "image filter"

and

2) A conspiracy to push Wikipedia at the expense of the sister projects

In regards to #1, although I'm somewhat aware of the discussions
around the image filter, this is not affecting how we are approaching
this Initiative. Not at all. In fact, if operators are willing to
allow for a zero-rated (data usage free) version of Wikipedia that
includes images and all, that's what we ideally want. And I will
continue to push for that when partners are willing to do that.
Operators, in general, are worried about taxing their networks by
providing free data at all so we're trying to work with them so there
is at least some way that people that can't afford data access in
developing countries to be able to at least access some form of
Wikipedia to start out with. We're also trying ways to do this via SMS
& USSD, which also doesn't support images. The reality is that images
use up more bandwidth than text so we have to work within the
constraints of mobile operators.  A user that wants to pay for data
access can get access to full Wikipedia and the sister projects.
However, as I said, we're pushing to get as much as we can with these
zero-rated initiatives and if mobile carriers are willing to do a
version that includes images and all, and every project, we should
definitely do it. The more complete the experience, the better.

In regards to #2, there is no conspiracy here. We've been quite open
about this. Yes, there is more of an emphasis on Wikipedia but it goes
back to WMF's prioritization of "A rising tide lifts all boats"
strategy. The more interest in Wikipedia will then hopefully translate
into more interest on Wikimedia in general and benefit the other
projects. Therefore, pushing interest in Wikipedia doesn't take away
from the sister projects, rather, it should hopefully lead to more
interest in them in the future. Furthermore, the zero-rated Wikipedia
initiative is focused on developing countries where people have
limited or no access to the internet, so many of the projects aren't
well known enough or developed enough in those native languages where
operators are willing to promote them. If users from developing
countries discover more ways to access Wikipedia then we're hoping
that it would then be easier for them to discover the sister projects.

--Kul (mobile grunt worker)