[Foundation-l] Frustration with WMF = WP

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:44:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Marc A. Pelletier <marc at uberbox.org> wrote:
> On 02/11/2011 6:36 AM, me at marcusbuck.org wrote:
>> Wait am moment... Wikipedia Zero is an extension to Wikipedia that
>> filters out images? And not even some of them on a totally voluntary
>> base but all of them for everybody? I guess I better shut down my
>> e-mail account to prevent the flood of angry mailing list posts from
>> the censorship theoreticists...
>>

> Well, you'll hear no such thing from me (and I'm arguably one of the
> more verbal opponents of the image filter as originally proposed).  This
> neatly sidestep all of the fatal flaws with filters where moral
> judgments are imposed, or our well-intended technology is misused to
> readers' detriment.

Not to contradict you in any substantial way, this idea has been posited
in an immense variety of forms, all soundly rejected by the community.
For someone to claim paternity to to a particular variety of the filtering
scheme, beggars belief. Dudes. you are not the first to think this up,
There are loads of them strewn by the roadside, when Jimbo was still
on his meds!! (Sorry Jimbo, you know I appreciate all the hard work
you did to get wikipedia up...)

Telll you what. If somebody collects the whole list on perennial proposals
page, and publicly tells us all how many permutations there are of this
proposal, I will personally donate -- wait for it -- ten times that number
in dimes to their designated charity. And I say this with a straight face,
this might well bankrupt me.