[Foundation-l] Show community consensus for Wikilove

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Nov 1 23:44:28 UTC 2011

On 11/01/11 5:18 AM, Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 11:56:48 +0000, Fae<fae at wikimedia.org.uk>  wrote:
>>> Efficiency has never been a part of Wikipedia's mission
>> That's a slightly odd interpretation,
>> <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mission_statement>  specifically
>> includes effective dissemination of content. Though the word
>> "effective" is quite different in meaning to "efficient", it would be
>> hard to imagine operational processes or practices being judged as an
>> effective use of donated funds if at the same time they blatantly
>> failed to be efficient.
>>
>> I may be missing the point, perhaps someone can provide a practical
>> counter-example?
> Since it all started from my message, by "efficiency" I meant "efficient
> creation of knowledge" which in my opinion can sometimes arise from
> interaction between the editors (when this collaboration is constructive)
> and sometimes may be deterred by the interaction when this interaction is
> destructive. I do not see any indication to the fact that Wikilove always
> enables constructive interaction (just today I came across a nice example
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Jcb&oldid=59812254#A_barnstar_for_you.21
> - though I have no idea of the background of this message). I personally
> will opt-out of Wikilove at the receiving side as soon as the option is
> available. I am also not sure that the family-like model always enables
> constructive interactions, since some users prefer to treat some others as
> family members, and more others as aliens or enemies.

I can at least agree that I interpreted your use of the word
"efficiency" in your sense of the efficient creation of knowledge"
instead of Fae's efficient use of donated funds. Not that I want to go
too deeply into the semantics, but "efficient" describes a process while
"effective" describes a result.

Ray