[Foundation-l] CentralNotice use

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Thu May 19 15:59:12 UTC 2011

Hello,

When we have a POTY contest or board elections, that is certainly not
very exciting for non Wikimedians. But when the picture of the year is
actually chosen? And when the WMF publishes an annual report written
for the public?

We had the problem with the site notice on nl.wp recently when we
wanted to announce our Ten Years Dutch Wikipedia event. - There were
already two notices! I would welcome to run notices not permanently,
e.g. have your Ten event announced for a week now and then again for a
week in june.

Ziko

2011/5/19 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>:
> On 05/19/2011 05:42 PM, Kirill Lokshin wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed with this in relation to the Board elections. Just users with
>>> accounts are able to vote or to be candidates. And those who are
>>> interested in our governing should be able to read it on Meta, which
>>> should have clear note on Main Page that there are ongoing elections.
>>
>> There are many people who would be legitimately interested in board
>> elections, but who don't visit Meta on a regular basis (or at all, for that
>> matter).
>
> Then notices just on Main Pages? I don't think that a random user from
> search engines is interested in our governing.
>
> Not to say that if someone is interested in Wiki*p*edia governing, may
> be introduced into the whole process after two or three pages, starting
> from [[Wikipedia]] in any language.
>
> As an account owner on LiveJournal, but without any activity, I am
> getting emails which inform me about the process of their elections.
> However, I don't remember that I saw that online (although I am very
> rarely there).
>
> I have no precise idea how, but it is obvious that we need to lower
> amount of our own advertising to random users.

Ziko van Dijk
The Netherlands
http://zikoblog.wordpress.com/