[Foundation-l] Message to community about community decline

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Mar 30 20:22:34 UTC 2011

On 03/29/11 1:43 AM, Yann Forget wrote:
> 2011/3/29 ????<wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk>:
>> Ah there is the reason, the sum of all human knowledge is approaching
>> completion. Well done to all.
> We are very far from that.
> All the issue is that of notability.
>
> If we apply the current criteria, which is mainly applied on Western
> subjects, to other parts of the world, we could have 10 times more
> articles (villages and towns, local customs and food, etc.).

By way of a reality check I just looked at the Spanish "Enciclopedia
Universal Illustrada", Vol. 51 published in 1926.  This volume includes
the not uncommon Spanish name "Reyes".  It contains 25 biographical
articles with that simple surname. (I didn't look at the various
compounds so frequently found in Spanish.) Of these 25, Mexican author
Alfonso Reyes has an article in both en- and es-wp. Mexican general
Bernardo Reyes appears only in en-wp. I saw no trace of the other 23 in
either project.

Ec