[Foundation-l] 2011 Board Elections: Input needed

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 14:13:46 UTC 2011

That's a different possible category. Should people who do not have capacity
to vote as editors, but are paid-up members of a chapter, be able to vote in
that capacity? (Alternatively, are chapter members' voting rights and
involvement limited to the chapter if they haven't taken part in any wider
activity?)

I don't have a problem with it, provided their membership is long enough (6+
months?) before the election.

There are probably good arguments both ways.  A lot depends on personal
philosophy: whether you see the foundation and chapters, as effectively
different arms of the same thing or as distinct. For example, if they are
"different arms of the same thing" then there would be commonsense reasons
to share donor lists (as John Vandenberg raises) as there is no reason why 2
parts of the same project would withold information from each other. If they
are distinct then paying membership to one may not lead to voting franchise
for the board of the other. There's considerable philosophy here that
spreads far beyond the election, it may be better to discuss it before it's
a problem in any way while it's fresh and malleable, but the board election
isn't really the context to do so.

FT2