[Foundation-l] 2011 Board Elections: Input needed

Harel Cain harel.cain at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 11:32:35 UTC 2011

Before we start extending the right to vote to ever wider groups of people,
we should ask ourselves how much this right is exercised by those already
entitled to it, and how many of those proposed to be granted the right to
vote are expected to really make use of it.

The last elections saw a participation of a few thousand of voters, just a
small proportion of all the people eligible to vote, and I guess these could
be split roughly into those who really are into foundation-level and
meta-level issues and those who were (legitimately) recruited from among the
home projects of the candidates without  too much real interest in the
elections. Whoever didn't fall into these two categories rarely voted, and I
anticipate the same will hold true for the new groups you proposed in your
mail.

The real question we should ask ourselves is how to make these elections
more relevant and important for those groups of people already entitled to
take part in them.

Harel Cain
Hebrew Wikipedia / Wikimedia Israel