[Foundation-l] New projects

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 09:45:05 UTC 2011

I am glad that I am the first woke up member of LangCom today, so I am
able announce that our family is richer for six new projects.

Of those, we've got two new Wikipedias, which means that we have two
languages. Presently, there are 269 active editions (281 in total) of
Wikipedia, which should be the total number of supported languages by
Wikimedia projects. (I would have to take a look if there are a couple
of more languages supported on Wikisource and Wikiquote.)

Note that not all projects have imported content from Incubator.

Two new Wikimedia languages are Kabardian and Latgalian:
* Karbadian language [1] is a Northwest Caucasian language [2] with
1.6M of speakers [3]. It is mainly spoken in Russia's regions
Kabardino-Balkaria [4] and Karachay-Cherkessia [5]. Wikipedia in
Kabardian language can be found at: http://kbd.wikipedia.org/
* Latgalian language [6] is a Baltic language [7] with 150k of
speakers. It is mainly spoken in Latvia and Russia. Wikipedia in
Latgalian language can be found at: http://ltg.wikipedia.org/

We've got one new Wikinews edition and it is Wikinews in Albanian [8]:
http://sq.wikinews.org/

And there are three new Wikisource editions:
* Wikisource in Sakha language [9]: http://sah.wikisource.org/
* Wikisource in Sanskrit [10]: http://sa.wikisource.org/
* Wikisource in Esperanto [11]: http://eo.wikisource.org/

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabardian_language