[Foundation-l] breaking English Wikipedia apart

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 13:53:12 UTC 2011

On 14 March 2011 13:46, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Having a single person would not work, as people would assume that a single
> person may have their own personal biases affecting their judgment.
> An elected committee might work, and I do think we should look at empowering
> such a committee to remove the right to edit BLPs from editors who
> repeatedly abuse it, and at creating the technical means to do so.

An elected committee to deal with editor disputes ... we could call it
the Arbitration Committee!

Except the arbcom feels it has lost so much community confidence it
doesn't even feel it has the power to enforce long-standing
fundamental policies:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2011-January/108319.html
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2011-January/108321.html

(The context there being that they feel they can't maintain the rule
"no personal attacks" even to the admins.)

Are you suggesting something like a second, parallel arbcom if the
first has finally stalled?

- d.