[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 22:36:42 UTC 2011

----- Original Message ----

I think you have to consider the context of the timing of the move to SF before
declaring the decision as blatantly  unhelpful.  It was before the financial
meltdown.  Attracting and keeping talent, especially given the stress of having
the quality their work and even the basic decision to pay someone to their job
regularly attacked, was a big concern. For historical accuracy think what Danny
dealt with (or search foundation-l archives if you weren't around) and forget
anything recent that may or may not be such an attack. I thought Danny was
absolutely crazy to work at WMF, and I work in a family business where
task-irrelevant stress and a complete lack of boundaries make corporate jobs
seem fabulously pampered.  Asking people to relocate to some random place when
they were probably already worried about whether they will be able to handle
working under that kind of strain was going to be quite difficult in what was
it; 4.7% unemployment?  SF has a big internet and tech base. It has always made
sense to me that WMF would be able to both find likely candidates already in SF
and attract better candidates to SF where the obvious back-up plans for a  WMF
job not working out seemed rather palatable to the sort of people WMF would
want.  Given how the larger world events turned out, those concerns seems less
relevant.  8.9% unemployment leaves good candidates sitting around just about
everywhere.

But seriously it's 2011, can we be stop discussing "the move to SF". Is anyone
seriously complaining about funds from the 2006 fundraiser? Who should be
brought to account for SF being a sub-optimal location?  The staff who were not
yet employed by WMF?  The board which includes more people who where not board
members when that decision was made than where involved in the decision? What is
the point of bring this up?

WMF is located in San Francisco. Not in Boston, London, New York, DC, St. Pete,
nor in any city that was never even under consideration.  Can we please count
this point as a given and consider those people who were alienated from WMF back
in 2007 as below the threshold of relevance at this point in time.

Birgitte SB