[Foundation-l] Access to academic journals (was Re: Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser)

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:29:24 UTC 2011

2011/3/8 Juergen Fenn <juergen.fenn at gmx.de>:

> Am 08.03.11 20:46, schrieb Samuel Klein:
>> Melissa -- absolutely!  I don't know the real stats, but I think we
>> cite OA jornals far more than any others in Wikipedia for this reason.
>
> Which is certainly a rather bad idea because what always counts first
> must be the quality of content, not the license of a citation or whether
> its available on-line or printed only.

Yes.. as well as there are areas of research for which there is no OER
journals at all. Anyway - I don't think if WMF could afford providing
access to scientific journals in aby scalable way. For example top
chemistry journals published by American Chemical Society can be
subscribed by institution - but in contract there is a limitation to a
selected range of IP numbers and maximum download per year. The cost
of intitutional subscription is around 2000 USD per journal. They
provide also indvidual subscription but only to the their members. It
is relatively easy to become an ACS member - but WMF cannot help too
much with this. Maybe it would be more clever to grant access to the
top scientific databases - for example for most active editors
-leading wikiprojects...

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/