[Foundation-l] It Is not Us

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 03:29:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Peter Gervai <grinapo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 17:43, Gerard Meijssen
> <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Wikipedia should be more like a social network. It provides us with the
>
> well wikipedia is about to create value for long term - social
> networks are about to create worthless things for the moment.

+1

As you mentioned earlier, Peter, most things on Facebook are in-the-moment
and do last in any sort of repository of things people want to read for
educational value.  There is some entertainment value in places like
lamebook.com, but that humor generally isn't above the brow (there is some
witty banter, though).

Our talk pages, on the other hand, provide insight in the archives on how
the social dynamics shaped the creation of a product as well as provide
general institutional knowledge.  Wikimedia social networking features such
as talk pages, mailing lists, and IRC channels produce millions of lines of
collaborative work.  This is what makes our system valuable.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan