[Foundation-l] Languages and numbers

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 04:52:22 UTC 2011

While preparing Missing Wikipedias [1], I've got numbers of speakers and
languages by area and country with chapter not covered by Wikipedias.

Numbers are preliminary, some of them should be corrected. I didn't
exclude Han languages, which mostly shouldn't be counted, and similar.
Note, also, that every language should be analyzed separately. Many
languages are spoken not just inside of one country.

Please, fix errors and comment.

* * *

Areas. They approximate the usual definitions of areas, but they are
different because of linguistic corrections.

* Afro-Asiatic Area: Area where Afro-Asiatic languages are dominant.
North Africa + Middle East + Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia - Iran.
* Europe: Europe (including Caucasus) includes Turkey.
* South Asia: South Asia + Iran. Dominantly Indo-European and Dravidian
languages.
* Sub-Saharan Africa: The rest of Africa.
* Polynesia, Australia and Oceania: Includes Malaysia and Taiwan
(Taiwanese languages not covered in Wikipedias are dominantly Austronesian.)
* East Asia: Han China "China (Central)", Korea and Japan.
* South-East Asia: Includes non-Han south China "China (South)".
* Latin America: Parts of America where Spanish and Portuguese are
official languages.
* Anglo-French America: Parts of America where English, French and Dutch
are official languages.
* North Asia: Asian part of former USSR, Mongolia and non-Han northern
and western China "China (North)".

The first column is number of speakers, the second number of languages,
the third is area.

399259294 592 South Asia
353676706 1805 Sub-Saharan Africa
221855457 253 Afro-Asiatic Area
138979263 2198 Polynesia, Australia and Oceania
107363760 37 East Asia
99260271 447 South-East Asia
47901185 143 Europe
30361602 724 Latin America
8481452 227 Anglo-French America
3724384 45 North Asia

* * *

Countries with chapters. (Numbers are not fully correct, as they include
some languages removed in the list below this one.)

If any chapter (or interested group) is interested in full list of
missing languages, I'll provide it by request before completing the
work. I suppose that some chapters are interested in languages with less
than 100K of speakers, as well.

296,097,274 349 India
71,356,176 681 Indonesia
46,676,395 157 Philippines
7,819,010 9 Germany
7,994,871 76 Russian Federation
5,386,580 5 Serbia
4,785,299 6 South Africa
2,841,300 17 Israel
1,139,750 4 Ukraine
1,085,931 125 United States
832,000 3 Netherlands
705,967 70 Canada
472,470 1 Czech Republic
375,704 17 Taiwan
313,642 6 Chile
246,900 3 United Kingdom
200,500 4 Spain
191,430 5 Poland
151,240 7 Sweden
132,809 12 Argentina
86,390 155 Australia
50,000 1 France
30,000 1 Hungary
29,980 4 Switzerland
17,460 5 Finland
15,000 1 Portugal
10,500 2 Norway
5,000 1 Denmark
4,500 1 Estonia

Languages with more than million or more than 100,000 of speakers
without Wikipedia and with chapter in the country:

India (more than million)
38261000 Awadhi
34700000 Maithili
17500000 Chhattisgarhi