[Foundation-l] Elections email

KTC ktc at ktchan.info
Tue Jun 14 16:51:35 UTC 2011

Before I start, can I just point out these exact same issues was
discussed on this list during the last Board election 2 years ago....

On 14/06/2011 16:38, Casey Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Andrew Garrett<agarrett at wikimedia.org>  wrote:
>>> 1. I already voted. It may be a good idea to send this only to people
>>> who didn't.
>>
>> I don't think this is possible.
>
> I think Pathoschild did it in the past and he was able to remove
> people who voted already, who didn't meet requirements, who were bots,
> etc.

Well, I was the one who sent the email back in 2008. Pathoschild (I
believe) was the committee member who took on the action to get it sent
in 2009, but I think it was Werdna that actually sent it.

> It would be a good idea for someone to make a list of things that need
> to be done/were done to make your job easier in the future.
> Pathoschild, do you remember what was done in the past?  Could you
> start such a list? :-)

And I wrote precisely such email to this list 2 years ago....
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-August/053798.html>

In 2008, one of the sysadmin build a filter list of accounts matching
the edit requirements, from which all blocked & bot flagged account was
removed to create the list of eligible voters. For the email list, all
accounts with no or obviously invalid entry for email address was
removed, and (this was pre-SUL) home project was chosen for accounts
sharing the same email address by picking the account with the most
edits, preferring language specific project over multi-language one
(e.g. Commons).

And just before I started sending the emails, I took out those emails
corresponding to accounts that had voted up to that point. Obviously,
with such an approach, those that voted after I looked up the voted list
still got an email but it eliminated most people that voted already
getting an email.

KTC

/me wait another 2 years to see if it makes any difference

     - Heinrich Heine