[Foundation-l] Elections email

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 21:55:01 UTC 2011

2011/6/10 Jon Harald Søby <jhsoby at gmail.com>:
> As Shane said, there are built-in features in the SecurePoll software
> that help us to control for sockpuppeting, so we are pretty safe.
> Sockpuppeting in a large enough scale to influence an election of this
> size would also be very difficult to pull through, and practically
> impossible to do undetected.

Jon, there's no built-in feature in the software that will tell you
account A is someone voting from home, and account B is the same
person voting from an internet cafe a block away.

This is always the case. But add to it (a) requiring only 300 edits
across all the projects in 10 years, just 20 since November 2010, and
(b) that the software is actively inviting all accounts that meet
those requirements, it means we're alerting all the socks that they're
able to vote. They might otherwise not even have remembered some of
the accounts the software is reminding them of.

This is just not a good idea.

Sarah