[Foundation-l] Global ban - poetlister?

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Fri Jun 3 17:43:52 UTC 2011

Scott MacDonald wrote:
> The same user is now opening editing on Wikiversity:
> http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Poetlister

And? I don't see a problem with those contributions. Are they problematic in
some way (particularly in a way that the English Wikiversity admins can't
handle)?

There seem to be a number of _institutional_ failures that allow certain
dedicated, willing people to be able to manipulate the system. A number of
forums across the wikiverse have promoted this user to administrator,
bureaucrat, checkuser, etc. That's generally a sign that the user is doing
good work. If those systems are broken, I'd suggest focusing time and energy
on fixing them.

The idea that you can stop manipulation of the system by sporadic (and
wildly inefficient) witch-hunts is rather insane. If the door is unlocked,
you don't imprison every person who tries to open it, you lock it (and then
imprison those who break in).

MZMcBride