[Foundation-l] Oral Citations project: People are Knowledge

Achal Prabhala aprabhala at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 19:09:55 UTC 2011

Hallo, (responses inline)

On Thursday 28 July 2011 12:27 AM, Wjhonson wrote:
> Achal I was responding to Thomas not to you.
> However yes, if you are quoting what an interviewee is saying, you should use quotation marks to offset their statements.
> Or even use the blockquote markup for a lengthy quotation.

My own understanding is that this is not a requirement of a print
article (say, a journal essay or a NYTimes report).

> If you do something like decide that because three people said "King Makambo ruled from 800 to 840" that you can simply state this in an article and cite the video, I would suggest that is a decision not well-founded on our editing principles.
It is therefore not clear why on the oral citations we make (linked to
the audio interview source) we should therefore do that. Two quick
clarifications again, because I fear that these are causing some confusion:

1) We don't have any video citations, only oral citations, linked to
audio interviews.

2) None of the articles created (or in creation) are about things
related to fictional Kings & Queens in the 9th century AD. In short:
we're not wading into the murky territory of rewriting events that
happened 13 centuries ago. I think the distinction is important because
there is an underlying feeling one gets here - and from a few other
posts - that somehow this experiment with oral citations opens up the
opportunity to write fictionalised accounts of the history of the world,
which would make for good science fiction, which is in itself a good
thing - but also far above our pay grade. :)

> Citations to primary sources should, in my opinion, always use quotation marks.  And never fail to do so.

While this is a possibility, there is no policy on citation of primary
sources on Wikipedia. In academia, field work and interviews are often
paraphrased; they definitely do not have to be reported inside quotes,
though of course, they may be.