[Foundation-l] roadmap for WM affiliation ; a name for self-identified affiliation

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 14:32:02 UTC 2011

>> One easy step they could take would be to simply  say, on their
>> website, "This site considers itself to be part of the Wikimedia
>> Movement".   (alternate text welcome )
>
> That would be a trademark violation. We should protect our trademarks.
> We don't want them associated with just any project. The Foundation,
> or its delegate, needs to approve any affiliations. Letting anyone
> call themselves part of the movement could cause us significant harm
> since an affiliation doesn't just say that the project supports us,
> but that we support the project. We don't want people claiming we
> support them unless we actually do.

Precisely.   So what do we want them saying instead when they're in
that situation?    We can write the text, we can design the badges, we
just need to let them know what we want that text and badge to be.
And, of course, we need to have it reflect something ABOUT them that
they would put it up-- it can't just be a link or a banner, it needs
to be about movement identity.