[Foundation-l] roadmap for WM affiliation ; a name for self-identified affiliation

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 14:27:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 20:41, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Informally, and in my own mind, I tend to think of like-minded free
>> culture wiki sites as part of a broader "Wiki Knowledge" movement.
>>
>> Of course, this is not meant to be an exclusivist or trademarked term :P
>
> Wiki is just a tool for creating content. Wikimedia is a movement and
> people want to be a part of the movement.

Good point and good point.
There are lot of alternate terms running around.  Wiki Knowledge
Movement is certainly a plausible one that would fit the bill.   In my
own mind, I use "Free Culture Movement".

Emotionally, I think my brain still lumps it all under the concept
"Public Library"-- everything got really dang fancy, but it's the same
spirit.    But the 'sacredness' I feel about WM is the same exact kind
of 'sacredness' I felt about walking in a public library in
childhood-- both are "a benevolent force for universal enlightenment."

The problem with using Wiki in the movement is that we definitely are
bigger than just wikis either.   If a project uses some other
software, but shares our values, they're still in the movement.
Wiki, formally, refers just to the software tool, although in the
wider world it's conflated with being "Wikipedia-like" in some way.

Some parts of the movement may not be projects that use wikis.  They
might be at the fringe, but we don't want to exclude them if they
share our basic values.

Alec