[Foundation-l] List of Wikimedia projects and languages

Thomas Goldammer thogol at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 11 10:48:16 UTC 2011

It won't be possible to save languages going extinct. Even if two or
three people start writing a Wikipedia in such a language, it will die
out as a spoken language, eventually, not later than it would without
a Wikipedia. I think it's nice to have a corpus of encyclopedic
articles in such languages, but more important for the goal of
Wikimedia to make knowledge accessible to all people of the world, is
that there is a useful Wikipedia in at least one language any given
person can read. I would estimate that we won't ever reach 300 (open)
Wikipedia language versions, because many of the smaller ones will be
closed sooner or later due to permanent inactivity, and that's
perfectly fine.

Th.