[Foundation-l] Privacy concerns

Michel Vuijlsteke wikipedia at zog.org
Sun Jul 10 12:59:06 UTC 2011

On 10 July 2011 13:20, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

I was reluctant to given the translation doesn't look very
> high-quality, and nuance and implications are the issue, which is why
> I was asking Dutch speakers what it actually meant.
>
> The original Dutch reads:
>
> "Om gedeblokkeerd te worden, moet(en) degene(n) die achter het
> betreffende IP adres zitten een brief sturen (papier) naar een door de
> gemeenschap vertrouwde medewerker. Deze kan via de emailfunctie links
> in het kader "hulpmiddelen" van zijn overlegpagina gemaild worden en
> zal dan een postadres verstrekken. In die brief moeten zij hun
> identiteit kenbaar maken, dit onderbouwen met een (kopie van een)
> geldig identiteitsbewijs, beloven om voortaan onder één account te
> zullen werken, aangeven met welke gebruikersnaam dat zal zijn (of een
> nieuwe kiezen) en een werkend emailadres opgeven. Wijs bij het
> blokkeren de betreffende gebruiker op deze clausule en blokkeer de
> emailfunctie van de oorspronkelijk aangemaakte account niet mee. Deze
> clausule geldt uiteraard niet voor ingelogde vandalen die doorgaan via
> sokpopperij met hun activiteiten."

Roughly:

In order to be unblocked, the person(s) behind the IP address need to send a
(paper) letter to a collaborator *(i.e. someone who works on/for Wikipedia,
open for interpretation) *trusted by the community. That person can be
reached via the email function in the "toolbox" box on the left; he/she will
then give* (the blocked person) *a postal mail address.

In the letter they *(i.e. the people behind the IP address) *will have to
reveal their identity, offer proof of their identity with a (copy of a)
valid identity document, promise to henceforth work using just one account,
indicate which account they choose (or choose a new account), and give a
working email address.

Point out this clause to the *(blocked) *user and do not block the original
account's email function. This clause is obviously not applicable for logged
in vandals who continue their activity via sock puppetry.

Michel