[Foundation-l] Privacy concerns

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 11:33:55 UTC 2011

David Gerard, 09/07/2011 12:46:
> On 9 July 2011 11:02, Béria Lima<berialima at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> The WMF is not responsible for private mails you send to anyone. The only
>> people who "officialy" can receive a copy of any ID you may have are
>> Philippe<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Philippe_%28WMF%29>,
>> Christine<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Christine_%28WMF%29>or
>> Megan<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Mhernandez>. If you send a copy
>> of your ID to anyone else is not WMF problem.
>

> I do think it is absolutely a problem when people on a WMF-hosted wiki
> are using an unofficial mechanism to demand copies of people's
> passports.

While Beria is technically right (probably), I agree with David.

Gerard Meijssen, 09/07/2011 10:06:
 > If you do not trust the person involved, you are crazy to send him a
copy of
 > your passport. This is a common sense. This policy as it obviously
works..
 > what is really your issue ?
 >
 > Do we really need a theoretical approach that only can bring us less
 > functionality ? I do not think so.

Gerard is right as well.
This system makes sense and could work as an extension of those
occasions when a trusted user says "oh, but I met both User:Whatever and
User:AllegedSockpuppet in person at that wikimeetup, I grant you they
really exist!", but probably there shouldn't be any "official" page,
policy or guideline suggesting people to send private data like Huib
described.

Nemo